Monday, August 11, 2008

Wedding Log stardate 08.11.2008 AKA: THE dress


So...I HAVE MY DRESS!!! I have it. hanging up. In my closet at home. I quite literally HAVE my dress! I can look at it any time I want...except right now...because I'm at work...but any time I'm at home I can just go downstairs and look at it and try it on (although we've discussed the fact that I have to limit the trying on of the dress so as not to wear it out before the big day...). Here's the scoop!


I went with my mom, one bridesmaid, and soon to be mom-in-law to meet with a seamstress, just for a consultation to discuss what could be done instead of the diamond detailing, if anything could be done, the cost of what could be done...etc. I couldn't remember the name of the seamstress I was meeting THAT day though so I walked in and said "Hi, I'm here to have a consultation with a seamstress..." And the nice girl said "Oh, Sharon?" And Sharon sounded familiar so I said "Yep." And Sharon was meaner than I remebered her being on the phone. But I got my dress on and told her what I was thinking and BASICALLY, in a nutshell, she said that what I was thinking probably wouldn't work and told me to keep it more simple and that she could not help. So, I accepted it and thanked her, I had a second consultation anyway.

Then, this other lady comes up to me and my posse and says "Hi, I'm mary. I think I'm who you were supposed to meet with today." And I felt SOOOO stupid! She sounded nice like the lady on the phone! I apologized and told her kind of what I was thinking and she had ALL these ideas and cool samples to show me and she was super excited (and less expensive than Sharon...).

So, she showed us this really awesome embroidered, raw silk, ribbon. And is going to put together a brown raw silk ribbon with some turquoise/ivory-type embroided designs on it and show it to me and then we'll decide if it's what I like or don't or what we can change etc. I think it's JUST what I was looking for! Something to add a little interest and make it a little more casual and kinda funky! It's kinda a hippie look but it's still beautiful and girly and bridey! :)


BUT WAIT- There's more!

So, I go to ask one of the store clerks if the company that makes my dress can make it without the detailing and/or ribbon and if it's more or less expensive. Well, I go to show them which dress it is on the rack and when I do one of them says "It may be more expensive to get it without just because it's a change from the standard. Is this one yoru size?" And I say "No, it's an 8 and I would need a 6." And then she suggests me buying that very dress because
1) the diamond detailing was coming off but I was getting it without anyway
2) I was already having alterations done to it and Mary said taking it in a 1/2" on either side would only cost maybe $10.00
3) They would give me a 15% discount!!!
4) Since I was getting rid of the ribbon it would be easier to cut it off and hide where it would show in the seam with the dress taken in on both sides.

Plus, the dress is in really good condition. And I got a coupon for 10% off a steam cleaning if I buy a petticoat or other "accessory" which works out GREAT because I totally NEED a petticoat thingy! :)

I am very very happy! It was so fun to have Chase's mom come too! She lives in Price and never gets to be involved really. So, she got to see it and approves. (she was baffled as to how the bust was staying up since it was too big hahaha)

*Sigh* it was good day...wedding-dresswise...yeah. :)

God is good...and he wanted me to have that dress.



2 comments:

  1. OH MY HECK! Thats SOOOOOOOOO Exciting! Seriously Rachel! I can't wait to seeeeeee it!!!!!!

    pee ess EMAIL ME
    wblairhill@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! That is so exciting! I can't believe you already have the dress! That is AWESOME that things worked out so well, and that you got it at a discounted price too! I can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete