Monday, December 7, 2009

filthy bike theifs!


This past Saturday, when I was getting the vacuum from the storage closet on the balcony, I noticed there were no bikes on the balcony.  Strange, since we have 3 bikes between us.  I remembered mine was at my parents' house (thankfully) and I figured Chase has also left his at someone's house or maybe one was in the trunk or something.  Anyway, I didn't think much of it until later that night when I asked "Chase, where are your bikes?" and he replied "On the balcony."  This is the part where I panick.  I say "No they're not..." and he says, jumping up from his comfortable napping position on the couch "WHAT?!" and I open the door to the balcony and we both see the bad news.  The bikes are gone. GONE GONE GONE! 

That's right! Chases bikes got stolen right off of our balcony!!  No, they were not locked up, which, in hindsight, was pretty stupid BUT if you saw where our balcony was you wouldn't have thought we were TOO stupid!  It's on the second floor and there is brick on either side of it and it's not as if it faces a parking lot or a street or neighborhood.  It faces the jordan river trail!  Maybe 5 people a week pass it!!  Someone must have really wanted them to scale up our apartment wall somehow and then toss the bikes down and climb back down and take them away in the snow.  Honestly, with a theif that determined I don't know that locks would have stopped them!  So, that stinks harcore.

BUT we DO have renters insurance (thank the Lord) and we spoke with them and they are going to cover it.  We are waiting 2 business days to hear back from the claims department on exactly how much we will get and how all that works.  Chase will probably just take whatever he gets and put it towards just a mountain bike.  He had a mountain bike and a road bike both stolen but he uses his mountain bike more often.  Thankfully my bike was at my parents' house.  That's good because I love having a bike but I don't think I would spend money to get a new one...

We are pretty dissapointed they were stolen though, we really never thought anyone would bother.  I guess we are too trusting.  But we've learned our lesson.  We'll probably just keep the bike in the house now. (Thanks stupid bike theif) 

Chase said he hopes the bikes made the bike theif's life better.  We are hoping he needed then for money for food to feed his family or something!

Wherever you are bike theif, I hope you're happy...

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! I think it's like a right of passage to get your bikes stolen while living in an apartment haha... ours were stolen too and we DID have them locked up! Jerks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so annoying! I'm sorry! That bites!

    ReplyDelete