Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Holding Out Help

hello my blog buddies!


I wanted to tell you all about this totally awesome organization that I have just recently become aware of. (I think they've only been around for a year or so...) It is called Holding Out Help (or 'HELP' for short...go figure).  This organization's purpose is to assist those that are have been living in a polygamist community and wish to leave. They provide a place for them to stay, food, friends, clothes, medical/dental attention, legal counsel and pretty much anything else they might need.  Here is the link to their website: http://www.holdingouthelp.org/  this could explain it all better than I ever could.


it's a really great organization.  What little I've heard from the women HELP has helped, they are told they are going to hell for leaving and that everyone outside their compound is evil so you can imagine how terrified they must be to leave and how bad their living conditions must have been for them to take the risk AND what amazing relief they must feel when a stranger that is supposedly "evil" (these are their words not mine) shows them love, not because they have to at all, just because they choose to.  I feel really blessed to be given the opportunity to be a part of this organization any way I can.  Last weekend we spent most of Saturday rennovating a couple of houses that will be used as "safe houses" for anyone leaving polygamy until they can find a more permanent place to live.  It just feels good to help.

That's all, go to link and take a look. :)

2 comments:

  1. So when I moved to my new house... My neighbors across the street are polygamists who were kicked out of Colorado city and they are trying to get back in... They are the nicest people!! I have learned a TON about their culture and life... Its just bizarre. But they Love their life..

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I'm sure not everyone has a bad experience living that way. They just want to help the ones that want help.

    ReplyDelete